Saturday

November 1, 2008

Holy Crap! I have just one word to describe this race: AWESOME!!

Today was the Chicago Lakefront 50/50. This race had a 50k (31 miles) and a 50 miler (I'm not that crazy...yet!) I have to admit that I was nervous about this race. Sure, I've run a marathon before, but who knows what could happen in those extra 5 miles? Fortunately, Danielle was running with me and Melissa had planned to run the last 10 miles with me. Even so, I was praying that God would send me an angel to run with me. He most certainly did, because Julia surprised me on Saturday morning by being there on her bike!! Here's the pre-race photo:

The race started with out fanfare. Seriously, we crowded around, and the race director said "Ok, go!" And we were off. I'm not kidding when I say that Ultra's are the Anti-marathon. It's so laid back! Here's Danielle, myself and Tom about a mile in (only 30 more to go!)I managed to stay with Danielle for most of the first loop. Here's fellow Marathon Maniac, John, myself and Danielle.
And the uneventful turnaround point. Yep, that's it! While the turnaround was uneventful, the water stops were amazing! Not only did they have water and Gatorade, but they also had coke, chips, cookies, candy and all sorts of other goodies!! I have to admit, I probably didn't eat enough. I didn't take a single gu through the whole race (BIG MISTAKE!!). The coke worked surprisingly well, and the 1/2 of a sandwich that Julia had in her pack was the filet mignon of peanut butter and honey sandwiches. I'm just not used to eating and running.
Julia, the angel that she is, rode her bike with me all day. She really is my hero. It was cold and windy and she stuck by me. I don't know if I can express how grateful I am that she was there. I was clearly having a bad running day, and having her there made this race so much fun!
Here's me at my last of 3 turnarounds.
Julia and I spent the last 8 miles singing--fittingly it started with Eye of the Tiger and ended with Green Day's Time of Your Life. I think it was my way of disassociating for the run. I had 3 inch blister on my arch and another the size of a quarter on the ball of the same foot that had started sometime in the first loop. I was having a bad running day. And it was about 40 degrees and windy. And let's face it, this was my 3rd marathon in 3 days and Dean Karnazes I am not. By the time I got to my last loop, I was slow and hurtin'. I knew going into it that this race was probably going to be painful . But I realized as I was running that I had a choice as to if I was going to suffer or not. I figured, I chose to do this, and I always believe that runs should be fun. There was no way I was going to let myself be miserable. It was much easier to not be miserable with Julia riding along next to me! But the 8 miles of singing worked and you can see, I finished with a smile on my face!
With my medal, and officially and Ultra marathoner!
Danielle and Bethie--Chicago's Newest Ultramarathoners!
And of course, me with the Official Support Crew! (You know it's Bethie's official support crew by the Bear's hat!!) Julia--YOU'RE AWESOME!!!!

Will I run another Ultra? Hell yeah!! Will I be smarter about it--OMG yes!! Now, I think it's time for a rest...

2 comments:

SuperJuls said...

Way to go Bethie!!!

Your awesomeness is awesomely awesome!

I'm so proud!!

Victoria said...

You truly are amazing!!! You rock my world!