Sunday

February 12, 2012

Third times a charm! Mercedes Marathon!!

Three words...Cold. Windy. Hilly.

Yep. That sums it up. A cold front came through, scaring the southerns (who runs a marathon in a parka?). It was about 32 degrees to start, colder than I anticipated, but not bad. The wind gusts were no bueno. I'm glad I wore the extra layer. It may have gotten up in the 40's by the finish. I had some wind burn when I was done!

I found out from Laura (who ran it last year) that the double loop course (yes, ran it twice) went to the highest point in Birmingham. Super fun for this flat lander. I felt like I was either going up or down. And how is it possible that the hills felt bigger on the second loop?

But I finished. YEAH! In 5:49--no PR, but faster than the last one...and I never even saw "The Balloon Lady". :) I was pretty proud that I didn't hit my usual 17 mile wall...that didn't hit until 20 (which also coincided with previously mentioned highest point in Birmingham). Then there was much walking. I hope that Virginia Beach will be better, after all, this is only my second marathon post injury.

No comments: