Monday

July 22, 2007

Up in the mountians of Utah...

I have to say elevation and "foothills" suck my will to live. This was the ugliest run I've ever done. I had the brilliant (and by brilliant I mean, "WTF was I thinking!!") idea to run east up 500S in Salt Lake City. This Chicago native knows nothing of the hills of the Rocky Mountians. Seriously, there were parts of this path that had stairs because the sidewalks were too steep! I'm sure the desert climate and elevation had nothing to do with my misery either...

Things I learned:
1. Running up hill sucks ass.
2. Running downhill isn't much of a picnic either after doing the up hill climb.
3. Body Glide does NOT make you "glide" up hills easier.
4. Even after 2.5 miles up hill I am highly motivated to run to sprinklers and away from Mormons trying to convert me.
5. Salt Lake City does not have drinking fountians.
6. Even during this run, I still have the ability to come up with some truely creative strings of swear words.
7. My inhailer is my favorite running buddy.

I survived my first run at elevation, all 5 miles of it. It took more than an hour to do this run. (1:21:23--does elevation count as hitting the wall?) I think tomorrow I will get up with Barb and ride to work with her so that my run is mostly downhill with out the death inspiring up hill.

No comments: