Friday

January 23, 2009

I was still at work when I found out the run tomorrow was canceled, and I HATE running on a treadmill for an extended period of time, so I decided to get my long run in today. I texted Big John, and he said he'd do 2 with me around Portage Park. I figured I could muscle through 7 more before it got too cold.

Then, Wynter made the crack that I should just run to her house. After mapping it out, it turns out that she's 7 miles away! I took her up on her offer and ran from my house to Oak Park and she and David had me over for dinner! It was pretty motivating to run to someones house to be on time for dinner. It was a nice run...except for the people who haven't shoveled in weeks (bastards!!).

The only problem (aside from unshoveled snow) was that as I was running south on Narragansset, I got stopped by a train! At first it was just a Metra, no biggie. But as the Metra was pulling out, the gates stayed down...and lumbering down the tracks was a freight train. UGH!! I was bouncing and jogging about for 15 minutes trying to keep warm while waiting for this stupid train. I was warm enough while running, but not just standing out in winter weather in sweaty running clothes waiting for a train. This was definitely a running first. There was no where to duck in to keep warm, and it kinda sucked. Getting started again wasn't easy, but I sure was glad to get running again!

I made it to Wynter's by 5:45 after leaving my house at 3:30 (I met John at 3:30, ran 2 and then stopped back for my fuel belt, the bathroom, my windbreaker and some body glide)...I totally would have made it sooner, if it wasn't for the stupid train! And the tacos, were completely excellent. After dinner, and some Wii, Wynter drove me home. I totally need to measure distances to other friend's houses, make them feed me and then have them drive me home! (Seriously--if you reading this, you could be with in target distance...)

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Hmmm... I'm like, 20 miles away... long run before the marathon? HAHAHA!