Tuesday

July 15, 2008

Today I went to the gym. Mostly for swimming, but since I was there I got my 4 miles taken care of on the elliptical. It was an easy four...sure I could have hit a tempo run, ensuring 12 or lower splits, but I was feeling tired today. I felt like if I didn't give my body a rest, I'd be hurting later.

I did 1100 yards in the pool. I was proud of my endurance. I did 20 lengths in a row! I know I couldn't have done that 6 months ago! I did the 20 with two lengths backstroke as a rest then another 20 lengths non stop and 2 more backstroke as a cool down. I'm not sure if I should be doing more to prepare for my next tri, but I feel good about building up more endurance in the pool. My go was for 1000, so I hit it! Woo-Hoo!

I just wish I could convert yards to miles or even to metric (because I can convert metric to miles easy enough). I guess that's the next thing to learn. When I started running I couldn't convert kilometers to miles, but now I can do it like a champ--in my head! Math never was my friend...unless it was applicable!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Okay... quick math facts for you. 1 yard is 3 feet... and there are 5280 feet in a mile... or 1760 yards.
So.... 1100 yards is 0.625 miles (or just shy of 2/3 mile). No, I can't think of any easy conversions for you, but I thought it would be good to at least know the equations!
(And you don't even want to know the conversion to kms... 1 km = 1093.6133 yds. Yeah... don't ask how to remember that one!)

Bethie said...

Dude!

How do you know this? You're by far the most useful person I've encountered today!!

Thanks so much!! I'm totally going to be refering to your comment until I get it down. You're the best!

Victoria said...

Apparently... I'm a nerd... go figure.
I knew the yards/feet/miles one... I had to look up the km to yds...